Bocce Ball Rules
Basic Rules of Bocce Ball
- Bocce ball is best played on a flat, level playing surface such as dirt, sand, gravel or grass.
- Divide into two teams of one, two or four players each.
- Divide the 4 balls for each team equally to each player
- A player from Team 1 throws the pallino toward the opposite end of the playing surface from the throwing zone.
- The first player from Team 1 then throws one of the boccia to get it as close to the pallino as possible.
- From then on, the team that does not have the ball closest to the pallino has a chance to throw, alternating until one team has used all four balls. At that point, the other side bowls its remaining bocce balls.
- The team with the closest ball gets one point for each of its balls that are closer to the pallino than the other team’s closest ball.
- If the two teams' closest balls are an equal distance from the pallino, no points are awarded.
- A frame ends after all eight balls have been thrown and the score has been totaled. The scoring team begins the next frame. If neither team scored, the team that threw the pallino begins the next frame.
- The winner is the team that first reaches a total score of 16 points.
Bocce Ball Court
Bocce Ball Example
In this example, team 1 has two balls closest to the pallino, so team 1 would end the frame with 2 points. Team 1 would then start the second frame.