Basic Rules of Volleyball
- The first team serving is the team who wins a volley.
- Following games will be served by the previous game loser.
- Server must serve from the service zone behind the boundary line until after contact.
- Ball may be served underhand or overhand.
- Ball must be clearly visible to opponents before serve.
- Served ball may graze the net and drop to the other side for a point.
- Serve must be returned by a bump only. No setting or attacking a serve.
Setting up the Net
Scoring – Rally Style
- A point is scored on every live play of the ball, either by the serving or receiving team.
- Offense scores on a defensive miss or out of bounds hit.
- Defense scores on an offensive miss, out of bounds hit, or serve into the net.
- Must win by 2 points.
- Game will be played to 25 points or until 1 team has 2 more points than the opposing team.
- Teams rotate each time they win the serve.
- Players rotate in a clockwise manner.
- 4-6 players on each side, with half in the front row and half in the back row.
Playing the Game - Volley
- The ball can be played off the net during a volley or serve.
- Players must not block or attack a serve.
- Maximum of three hits per side.
- If two or more players contact the ball simultaneously, it is considered one play and the players involved may not participate in the next play.
- Players may not hit the ball twice in a row (blocks are not considered hits).
- A ball touching the boundary line is considered in-bounds.
- A legal hit is contact with the ball by a player’s body above and including the waist and does not allow the ball to come to a rest.
- Switching positions will be allowed only between front row players any only after the serve.